We are recruiting for an exciting new role within the web team at Mercury Group’s headquarters in East Yorkshire.
Mercury’s web developers build and maintain websites and web applications to meet clients’ needs. Jobs can range from creating a staff intranet for an organisation to building a payment system for an online retailer (and anything in-between).
The successful candidate will be a seasoned web professional with a strong portfolio of previous web projects.
Relevant programming skills are essential, as is the ability to work well within an team and to work tirelessly to meet client deadlines. The web development team provides services to all of Mercury Group’s subsidiary businesses which means web projects cover a diverse range of sectors including everything from construction, rail and engineering, through to FM, energy, public sector and retail to name but a few.
Examples of the projects you can expect to work on:
- Creating innovative and value-creating websites
- Creating a secure online shopping website
- Developing a virtual learning environment (VLE) for a college
- Setting up a company intranet for staff
On a typical project, you will:
- Work, via our client relationship management teams, to support with developing concepts that best suit clients’ needs
- Build the framework – or ‘architecture’ – of the site and add the command buttons, payment systems and video, sound or animation
- Make sure that the new site can be smoothly integrated into the client’s existing network, for instance linking with a customer database
- Work on the site’s appearance, often with a graphic designer
- Put measures in place to deal with user access and security
- Test the site under construction to find and fix any problems – or ‘bugs’ – before it goes live
Role Specific Skills:
- HTML5 and CSS Specifications (W3C)
- Cross-Browser / Cross-Platform Development
- Cross-Browser Bugs and Inconsistencies
- Knowledge of user accessibility
- Good understanding and a working knowledge of PHP
- Knowledge of MySQL Databases
- Domain names and server administration
- Able to work on numerous projects simultaneously in a fast-paced environment with frequently changing priorities
The successful candidate will be willing to work flexibly within a team to fulfil the above requirements, but will also be comfortable:
- Populating websites developed by other developers with required content
- Smaller web amends for websites that are maintained on an ongoing basis by Mercury
- Checking the mobile responsiveness of the websites developed by the team
- Carrying out Search Engine Optimisation (SEO) work on behalf of clients, as well as identifying content plans that will support in their SEO campaigns
To apply, please send a current CV to email@example.com